Monday, August 1, 2011

Reagan's Surgery Day

Reagan had her surgery this morning in Iowa City and she was a champ. I was really impressed with how brave she was. I was anticipating a less than enjoyable experience (not that surgery is ever that enjoyable) considering the major fit she threw when she had to have her finger poked at her check-up, but she did great! Ryan, Reagan and I went to Iowa City on Sunday evening and stayed over-night, because we had to be to the hospital at 7:00 and didn't feel like leaving our house at 4:30 in the morning. It also gave Reagan a chance to swim in the hotel pool and have a little bit of extra-special time to make it a more desirable experience. We know how to spin things around here.:) They were great there. I actually got to walk back with her and stay in the operating room right beside her until she was asleep. I was so thankful for that, because I think that would have been the hardest part for her. What child wants to walk off with complete strangers into a scary and possibly painful situation? We had talked about it ahead of time and she knew she would be asleep the whole time and not feel anything, which helped her relax some. She hasn't had too much pain either. She started to complain of it hurting on the drive home, but unfortunately I didn't have any Tylenol for her and her ice was melting. She's been great since we've gotten home though. If anything, she might relax a little more! I'm so thankful it went well and it will be interesting to see if there is a noticeable difference once the swelling and bruising goes down. This surgery was a hard decision for Ryan and I to make, but we didn't want it to affect her vision down the line and they said that 5 is an ideal age to correct the ptosis. We're thankful to God that she didn't have any difficulties with the anesthesia and that she has minimal pain post-op.


Modeling her surgery outfit and looking good.
I think I went into the wrong profession. I would have made a stunning surgeon....especially loving the shoes, although I did put on some lovely booties before entering the O.R.
Reagan enjoyed two popsicles after waking up from surgery.
Not the greatest picture, but you can see that her eye is black and blue and quite swollen.
This picture cracks me up because she looks like she had a major tussle with someone and came out on the losing end.:)

This was actually before surgery. They had a nice little playroom with a T.V. to pass the time while we waited to go to the Operating Room

No comments: